Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2017, 09:17:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Other Bay of Chaleur Surnames and their Families
| |-+  The origins of Neil McKinnon and Margaret Sheddon
| | |-+  A reference to some of Neil McKinnon's property
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A reference to some of Neil McKinnon's property  (Read 6535 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: April 14, 2005, 05:24:06 AM »

Thanks to Brian Dea for sending us a link to a page on Early Canadiana  concerning some property sold by the family of Neil McKinnon, "a Scotchman and old soldier."

William Flowers
GAP
Participant

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »

Interestingly enough I have a source who was doing Gaspe research who states that Neil McKinnon was a member of the 44 Regement and retired on June 24 1764.

Update:
There is a typo in the above sentence. The date mentioned should read June 24, 1786.

WJF
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:26:52 PM by William Flowers » Logged
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:41:26 AM »

Interestingly enough I have a source who was doing Gaspe research who states that Neil McKinnon was a member of the 44 Regement and retired on June 24 1764.

Update: There is a typo in the above sentence. The date mentioned should read June 24, 1786

I've never seen that before, although it is possible. There were other men from the 44th Regiment of Foot who were also present in the area. Do you know where this researcher got that information?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:29:08 PM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
GAP
Participant

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »

I went and checked my source.

Source is David McDougall.

He references a transcript of the discharge as well as extracts of muster roles of the 44.

I have copies, and can scan them if you want.

George
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:24:41 PM »

I went and checked my source.

Source is David McDougall.

He references a transcript of the discharge as well as extracts of muster roles of the 44.

I have copies, and can scan them if you want.

That's a pretty good source! I think I'll take you up on your kind offer. Yes, could you please scan them for me?

Thanks so much!

William Flowers
GAP
Participant

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »

Documents sent to you by email.
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:30:16 AM »

Documents sent to you by email.

George has sent three documents to me regarding a Neil McKinnon. The first was a summary of research done in 1976 for David McDougall by a professional researcher in London, the second was a transcript of Neil McKinnon's discharge paper, and the last consisted of David McDougall's notes on Neil McKinnon.

The report from the professional genealogist to David McDougall listing the muster rolls that a Neal McKinnon appeared on as a "Sergeant" from Jan 1772 in Dublin, to Hell Gate where he "resigned as a "Sergeant" to a private on 11 Sep 1776. He last appears on muster of the 44th, with a locality listed, in Quebec in Oct of 1783. He is finally shown as discharged on 24 Jun 1786. The muster entries list various spellings of "Neil" and "MacKinnon."

There is also a transcript of the discharge on 24 Jun 1786 at Quebec of Neil McKennon, private soldier, who had served for twenty years in the 44th

The transcript of the discharge lists him as 42 years of age, five feet seven inches tall, with brown hair and a fair complexion. By trade he is a "Ship Carpenter," born in the County of "Invernefs." It is signed by "Neil McKinnon."

In McDougall's notes, he clearly links this Neil McKinnon of the 44th with the Neil McKinnon of Port Daniel. There is, however, no evidentiary link supplied that would indicate that the Neil McKinnon of the 44th is the same as the Neil McKinnon of Port Daniel listed as an a "Scotchman and old Soldier."  This is all very tantalizing, however.  More work needs to be done to establish this link.

Thanks to George Polson for supplying this to us.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:22:11 PM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

In McDougall's notes, he clearly links this Neil McKinnon of the 44th with the Neil McKinnon of Port Daniel. There is, however, no evidentiary link supplied that would indicate that the Neil McKinnon of the 44th is the same as the Neil McKinnon of Port Daniel listed as an a "Scotchman and old Soldier."  This is all very tantalizing, however.  More work needs to be done to establish this link.

George just found and has sent along a land petition from "Carlisle," dated 9 Feb 1791, where a Sergeant Neil McKinnon of Cox, and formerly of the 44th Regiment, with a wife and six children, is the petitioner for lands in Port Daniel. This is the evidentiary link that ties the Neil McKinnon of the County of Inverness in Scotland, to the Neil McKinnon of Port Daniel, the "Scotchman and old Soldier;" they are the same person.  George aptly calls his wondeful find,"the smoking gun."

Congratulations, George, on a fine piece of genealogy!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:50:30 AM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: