Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 12:35:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Sources
| |-+  The Milne Diaries
| | |-+  The Milne Diaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Milne Diaries  (Read 9480 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: April 03, 2004, 06:41:42 PM »

The Milne Diaries are a wonderfully informative view into the lives of many of the people and families of New Carlisle, as well as an unintended social history of the area. This invaluable document is the work of Reverend George Milne who served the Anglican congregation of St. Andrew’s in New Carlisle for over thirty years. It records births, baptisms, burials, illnesses, the making of wills, and Milne’s general observations on the weather, road conditions, church business, the schools, and on the human condition.

One entry describes the Rev. Milne approaching the house of one of his ill parishioners. Milne describes hearing the sick man’s cries before he reached the house.  Another curious entry describes a woman coming to get her will, which she had left in the safe-keeping of Milne after he assisted her in writing it. The woman was in such haste and obvious distress that Milne felt the necessity of having his wife witness the transfer. Among other entries, Milne describes the stubbornness of certain school board members. Beyond the marriages, baptisms, and burials, there are scores of entries that deal with every-day life in New Carlisle and the surrounding area.

The original document is held privately in New Carlisle.  At least one reasonably complete transcription is known and is available for study by researchers in the library of the Restigouche Genealogical Society in Dalhousie, New Brunswick. This transcription was done from the original by their member, Jackson Ross, and covers the years 1841-1874, although I have also seen a partial transcription of entries elsewhere that has some entries through May of 1878. (The transcriber of these entries is unknown.) The Ross transcription at the RGS is also indexed by surname—a boon to researchers. Currently, the Restigouche Genealogical Society will make copies of specific entries for researchers. They have been restricted from making copies of the entire document. You may contact them with requests that meet their guidelines.

I have seen enough pieces of transcriptions outside of the Restigouche Genealogical Society to speculate that there may have been at least one additional transcriber and transcription to the one made my Jackson Ross. There appear to be differences in degree of completeness of some individual entries, and differences in the dates of some entries.

There also appears to be a similar work to the Diaries by Milne, himself.  Historian, Kenneth Annett has seen and transcribed a collection of Marriage Licenses, 1841-1871, also by Milne. I have discussed, with Annett, the possibility that there may have only been one work and that the Marriage Licenses were drawn from the Diaries by Milne at a later date.  I have been assured that this is not the case, and that there are, in fact, two separate and original documents by Milne, the Diaries and the Marriage Licenses.  A transcription of the original of the Marriage Licenses has been done by Annett and is also available for study at a few select locations.

Update: Link to the Restigouche Genealogical Society updated.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:44:00 PM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
Janie Rubin
Senior Participant

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »

This document would indeed be fascinating to see. The Rev. George Milne was rector of the church the HALL family attended (my direct line).

Janie
HuntingtonGdaughter
Senior Participant

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »

I did not find this document in New Carlisle two weeks ago  Sad
I had my cousin who works at the courthouse do some digging...and unless it is secretly there she says it was most likely sent to Quebec City.  There are a few copies supposedly available for Library loan - has anyone attempted this?
Tina Marie
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »

I did not find this document in New Carlisle two weeks ago  Sad
I had my cousin who works at the courthouse do some digging...and unless it is secretly there she says it was most likely sent to Quebec City.  There are a few copies supposedly available for Library loan - has anyone attempted this?
Tina Marie

I'm not surprised that you were not able to find it in New Carlisle, although the original may still be there, but in private hands.  The only transcription I know of is at the Restigouche Genealogical Society in Dalhousie, New Brunswick.  You are allowed to view it there, but not borrow it. They will make copies of selected pages for a copying fee, but will not copy any more than a page or two at a time, certainly not any large number of pages.

The document was at the courthouse at one time, but is no longer there. My understanding is that it ended up many years ago in the private hands of someone in New Carlisle, but don't know who that was. Much about this document seems to have a certain amount of secrecy attached to it, probably because it mentions certain family situations and people that may be known to someone still alive.

William Flowers
GAP
Participant

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »

The Milne diaries were part of the McDougal collection so are currently held by Quebec Family History Society.
If they have been catalogued and are available to view is anouther matter.
Milne's list of marriages is part of this body of work.

However there are several other issues.

first the diaries I have seen were titled part 2. this implies that there was a part one of earlier time which was not available.
As well There was a transcript available online but I am unable to remember the source.

George
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 05:32:33 AM »

The Milne diaries were part of the McDougal collection so are currently held by Quebec Family History Society.
If they have been catalogued and are available to view is anouther matter.
Milne's list of marriages is part of this body of work.

However there are several other issues.

first the diaries I have seen were titled part 2. this implies that there was a part one of earlier time which was not available.
As well There was a transcript available online but I am unable to remember the source.

George

Is the portion you saw at the QFHS, entitled Part 2, a transcription or was it the original?

William Flowers
GAP
Participant

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »

It was photostat (shows the age of the copy) of hand written document consistant with original text
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »

That is wonderful news, George!  At least the second part exists as a photocopy of the original.

William Flowers
Betty Garrett Grant
Participant

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »

Has anyone out there seen any Milne diary entries for the 1850s, particularly prior to 1856???????????????????????
I am looking for mention of the marriage between Joseph Garrett and Mary Ann Gillies
GAP
Participant

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »

Unfortunately the section of the milne diarys 1851-1859 is not available. There is however a baptism of Jane daughter of Joseph Garret Feb 27 1859 (DOB 17 Oct 1858) wife Ann Gillis if that is of any value.

George
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: