Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 10:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Sources
| |-+  Adin Beebe Letters
| | |-+  Chattertons in the Adin Beebe to Amasa Beebe Letter of 1843
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Chattertons in the Adin Beebe to Amasa Beebe Letter of 1843  (Read 7666 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: December 17, 2003, 02:38:09 PM »

Who is the Chatterton family being thanked and referred to as Mr. Chatterton, his wife and son, by Adin Beebe in his letter of 28 Sep 1842? It would be very interesting to identify this Chatterton family who may have taken care of Mary Secord just before she died.

William Flowers

William Flowers
dscooke
Participant

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »

I think that the reference to
"Mr. Chatterton and his wife" refers to Samuel and Charlotte.
  I know that in my grandmother's generation her cousins all referred to each other by their first,middle , and last names.
William Cooke
Participant

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 12:13:25 PM »

Samuel CHATTERTON and his wife Charlotte BEEBE were both still alive at the time of Adin BEEBE's letter to Amasa BEEBE so they could be the "Mr. Chatterton, his wife" mentioned in the letter. But it is strange that Adin would not refer to his and Amasa's sister Charlotte directly. Another possibility is Samuel's son James and his wife Bridget DUNPHY who lived in New Carlisle. Samuel and Charlotte's other sons lived in Hopetown.
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 01:05:59 PM »

It does seem strange, indeed, that Adin would refer to his sister, Charlotte, merely as Mr. Chatterton's "wife," particularly in a letter addressed to their own brother, Amasa.  I'd be willing to allow for a certain degree of formality, that required only a relationship being referred to when talking about a married sister, but then wouldn't Adin have said something like "our sister and her husband, Mr. Chatterton, and their son," rather than "Mr. Chatterton, his wife and son?"

It would agree, then, that the Mr. Chatterton being referred to is a son of Samuel Chatterton's and Charlotte's, along with his family.

William Flowers
Susan Sylke
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:45:59 AM »

Samuel and Charlotte signed over land etc to their son James and his wife Bridget :  10 Mar 1842 : Martin Shepphard Notarial LDS film
10 Mar 1842 Gifts and Assignments by Samuel Chatterton & Charlotte Beebe his wife to James Chatterton (their son) Samuel Chatterton and his said wife  his father and mother of the other parts. Samuel Chatterton and his said wife considering their advanced age and infirmary and the feeble state of health and infirm of their son Joshua  which incapaciated them from providing for their own subsistance and as feeble compensation for the care and attention and support unremittinlgy given and bestowed towards them by the said son James for these several years past and the natural love and affection.Because they stated their advanced age etc it would probably have been James and Bridget who would have assisted in the care of Mary.
 Susan Sylke
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 07:30:26 PM »

Susan, in her post above, has come up with a pretty compelling piece of evidence to show where Mary Secord Beebe Pierson may have spent her last years. It seems entirely consistent with what Adin Beebe wrote to his brother Amasa in his letter of 28 Sep 1843:

"Please give my respects to all my relatives particular to Mr. Chatterton, his wife and Son whom I esteem for the attention they bid to our deceased Mother." [Mary Secord]  --Adin Beebe

William Flowers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: