Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 10:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Other Bay of Chaleur Surnames and their Families
| |-+  Mary Secord's Death and Burial
| | |-+  Mary Secord's death date
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mary Secord's death date  (Read 7529 times)
dscooke
Participant

« on: February 12, 2004, 03:47:52 PM »

Hi Bill,
  Your web site is great! Keep up the good work. One of the questions you ask is "When did Mary Secord die?"
  I will have to dig it our but I have a letter from a lady in southern Ontario. She had a chest of Beebe documents etc. She quoted a letter from Adin Beebe to his siblings in New Carlisle as saying how happy he was to hear that his mother was still alive and well.
The letter was dated 1832.
 This would lead you to believe that she died sometime after 1832.
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 04:53:52 PM »

Hello, David--

Check out the letters on this webpage on the site.  Not only was Mary Secord's death after 1832, but also after 1836 and possibly as late as 1842.

William Flowers

William Flowers
dscooke
Participant

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:13:28 PM »

Hi Bill,
  Thanks for the quick reply. I found a copy of my letter. The lady with the Beebe/Secord info was Mrs. Marjorie Newman of Ontario.
  In an old issue of Huguenot Trails there was an article written by Dr. Kenneth Annett. In the article he said:
From Beebe Family Letters Found by Mrs. Marjorie Newman
"July 1838 Adin Beebe of St. Catherines writing to his brother
Amasa Beebe of New Carlisle,Quebec: He refers to Amasa's letter of 1836. Gratitude at the news that his mother was still alive. " Could this be the same letter that you found at the NB Archives?
Later Annett comments that Mary Secord lived a very full 100 years of life.
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 09:46:23 AM »

I believe the letter that Marjorie Newman had is the same one that I found at PANB. I have been unable to find and contact Marjorie regarding this, although I've tried off-and-on for a few years. There are at least two and possibly three other Beebe descendants, though, who were apparently in possession of copies of these letters previous to my finding them at PANB. I didn't find these descendants until I started the search for Marjorie Newman in earnest.

I believe that Kenneth Annett was quite conservative regarding Mary Secord's age at death. If we could only find the letter Amasa Beebe's letter to Adin of 9 Nov 1842, we'd know exactly what the date of her death was. I think it reasonable to assume, however, that her date of death was far closer to 1842, than it was to 1836, since it is also known that there was correspondence between Amasa and Adin between those dates with no mention of their mother's death until the above referenced letter of 1842.

William Flowers

William Flowers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: