Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 12:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Robert Flowers/Alice Pennington Family
| |-+  The Descendants of Robert Flowers and Alice Pennington
| | |-+  (Mary) Jane Flowers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: (Mary) Jane Flowers  (Read 6335 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: January 26, 2004, 11:32:25 AM »

I'm looking for the place and date of death of (Mary) Jane Flowers, daughter of Robert Flowers/Alice Pennington.  Jane was probably born sometime between 1786 and 1789. She married William Billingsley and had at least two children, William and Elizabeth.

According to some researchers she died in Dundas Co., Ontario. The date of death varies according to the researcher, beginning in the early 1840s.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

William Flowers

William Flowers
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 03:31:44 PM »

There is ample evidence in parish registers to suggest that the "Jane" Flowers of Alice Pennington's will was actually named "Mary Jane."  I'm curious as to any other opinions about why she was identified by her mother, and probably the rest of her family, as "Jane." It is especially striking to me that she was called "Jane" in something as formal as a will.

William Flowers

William Flowers
Helen Turner
Participant

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:21:26 AM »

Hi Bill:

[Mary] Jane Flowers d/o Robert m. Alice Pennington was referred to as Jane in many docs. Perhaps she was always known as "Jane" in her family because there already was another Mary.  Polly is a diminutive of Mary.  We have no record of Polly's actual birth name.  We are speculating that Polly Flowers was a child of Robert and Alice.  If so, and her birth name was actually Mary [but known as Polly by the family] then Mary Jane being referred to as Jane could be a logical assumption. I know that there are a lot of assumptions here, but sometimes we just have to leap into the abyss to find out what is at the bottom, right?  What are your thoughts?

Helen
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 12:56:23 PM »

Helen,

You share my feelings about the two Marys: "[Mary] Polly" and "[Mary] Jane". I knew three Mary's on the staff at school, but they were known variously as "Jane," Kay," and "Sue." I have the feeling that this is a common practice among Marys, that they are often known by their "middle" name, or the diminutive, as you have pointed out.

I'll watch for that abyss!  Smile  It seems that in genealogy, we're always perilously close to it. I just hope it does have a bottom!

Bill

William Flowers
gwjmcintosh1
Participant

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

Mary Jane Flowers Billingsley was my 3x great-grandmother. She died in or near Winchester, Ontario (in Dundas county) on 8 January 1871. She is listed as Mrs. Billingsley in the Ontario Vital Statistics records (no age listed).
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »

Mary Jane Flowers Billingsley was my 3x great-grandmother. She died in or near Winchester, Ontario (in Dundas county) on 8 January 1871. She is listed as Mrs. Billingsley in the Ontario Vital Statistics records (no age listed).

Thank you for the date of death information.

William Flowers
gwjmcintosh1
Participant

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 05:43:48 AM »

Forgot to mention her age(s)

1851 census - age 56

1861 census - age 66

1871 census (death schedule) - d. age 82

Her exact birth date may never be known but it is around 1789-1795.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: