Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 01:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  John Thompson/Margaret Gallon Family
| |-+  John Thompson's Origins
| | |-+  Needed: "A few good (Thompson) men"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Needed: "A few good (Thompson) men"  (Read 4781 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: July 19, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »

I need volunteers to take a YDNA test from any of these Thompson lines in the Bay of Chaleur area.  Your must be a male, your surname must be "Thompson,"  and you must be descended from any one of these three Thompson lines:

1) John Thompson and his wife, Margaret Gallon/Gallan/Galand
2) William Thompson and his wife, Eleanor/Helen McKenzie
3) William Thompson and his wife, Sarah Rafter

The test is painless and is done by swabbing the inside of your cheek with something that looks like a Q-tip.

Read this article about the rationale for these tests.

Please let me know of additional questions and of your interest.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:22:26 PM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:26:51 PM »

A male John Thompson/Margaret Gallon descendant, through William Thompson/Maria Dobson, has volunteered a YDNA sample. The results of the test will be available soon.  I'm still looking for a male Thompson descendant of William Thompson and his wife, Eleanor/Helen McKenzie, and a male Thompson descendant of William Thompson and his wife, Sarah Rafter to volunteer for the YDNA test.

Remember the test is absolutely painless and your YDNA is collected by yourself, inside your own home, by swabbing the inside of your cheeks with a Q-tip type swab sent to you by the testing company.  You then put that in an envelope and send it off to the testing company and wait for the results.  Easy!

Please contact me for more information.

Update:  Follow this link to the Chaleur Thompson Genealogy Project Page.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:02:19 PM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
James Thompson
Senior Participant

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

Hi William,
 If you need another decendent of John Thompson i will step up to the plate and help out. Hope fully some on from willam thompsons direct line will help out to.

James
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 08:27:12 AM »

James, thanks for your kind offer. You, or any other Thompson male, may purchase YDNA tests through the Thompson project by following this link. For the purpose of our project now, it would be great if we could find a volunteer who is a male Thompson descendant of William Thompson and Eleanor/Helen McKenzie.

If the test results we have now from the John Thompson patrilineal descendant don't match the results we get from the William Thompson and Eleanor/Helen McKenzie volunteer, then more tests will be necessary from descendants of both men to see how valid the original tests were.  If, on the other hand, we get a match from these first two tests from descendants of John and William, they become essentially self-validating and we know that both men share a common ancestor.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:00:30 AM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
James Thompson
Senior Participant

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »

Hi Bill
  Have you found any more info on John yet? I still keep on trying to get to Dalhousie to do some more research. has the male volunteer on the william Thompson side step forward yet? is there any decendents malefrom Andrew Thompson and Mary Leonard that also could come forward to do the DNA test?

God Speed
James Thompson
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:17:58 AM »

Hi Bill
  Have you found any more info on John yet? I still keep on trying to get to Dalhousie to do some more research. has the male volunteer on the william Thompson side step forward yet? is there any decendents malefrom Andrew Thompson and Mary Leonard that also could come forward to do the DNA test?

God Speed
James Thompson

Every significant thing I know about John Thompson's origins appear either at this link on my website, or at this link in this forum area. I have found nothing additional since that time.

A woman who is a descendant of William Thompson volunteered to find someone among her male Thompson relatives to take the YDNA test. She was also going to develop a line of descent from William to the Thompson volunteer so that the results of the test would have validity. I told her that I would be willing to help in any way I could. She told me she would get back to me, but I haven't heard from her since January. She indicated to me that she was very busy at the time, so perhaps she hasn't fully developed the line of descent yet.

To do a YDNA test of a Andrew Thompson/Mary Leonard descendant, we'd have to find a line of descent to a Thompson male from a son of Andrew and Mary other than through their alleged son, John.  As far as I know, no one has ever found any siblings for the "John Thompson" who is supposedly a son of Alexander Thompson and Mary Leonard. For that matter, I have never seen any evidence that Andrew Thompson and Mary Leonard ever had a son named "John," to say nothing of never having seen any evidence for any link between this mythical "John" and our John Thompson.

In my opinion, the most efficient route to follow in the pursuit of our John Thompson's origins is to find the origins of his brother, Andrew Thompson, the cooper of "Campbelltown" described in the transcription located at this link elsewhere in the forum area.

William Flowers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: