Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 01:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Emigration from the Bay of Chaleur to the Midwest
| |-+  Routes?
| | |-+  Emigration routes and map
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emigration routes and map  (Read 6855 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: July 12, 2005, 07:26:23 AM »

If you have ancestors, relatives or research subjects who made the trip from the Bay of Chaleur area to the Midwest, let us know if you know what route they took. It appears it was at least dependent on the time-frame in which the emigration took place. 

Here is a link to a map to help you ponder the well over two thousand mile route.

William Flowers
Cathy McTavish
Senior Participant

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 04:41:14 AM »

I am very fortunate that my great-grandfather Simon McTavish had an article written about himself and his hotel.  Simon left Pabos in the between 1881 and 1882.  In this article I learned that he traveled by ship to Campbellton, New Brunswick and then to Oconto by train.  His naturalization papers indicate that he came in July of 1881 through Port Huron on the Grand Funk Line from Port Sarney in Canada.  I can not find a "Port Sarney", but assume that is a spelling error.  He orginally logged in Marquette Michigan before arriving in Oconto. 

I love your new format William!

Cathy McTavish

Descendant of the Garrett and Caldwell families.
Cathy McTavish
Senior Participant

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:03:18 AM »

There is a great tool today that uses Satellite technology and mapping.  It is called Google Earth.  You can download the free software at http://earth.google.com/.  This software provides a global view of where our ancestors came from and their migration path.  After spending sometime getting used to the program, I created a folder called “Ancestors”.  In This folder I have “place marked” many of the areas where my ancestors lived.  I can then see globally where they lived and how they intertwined.    I have a jpeg file that will show place marked, Pabos, Quebec, Campbellton, New Brunswick, Port Huron, Oconto, Wisconsin and Stillwater, MN.  By looking at this global picture, you can understand how our ancestors might have migrated.  Besides your family research, you can have an awful lot of fun just “wandering around the globe”.  I tried to attach the jpeg but was unsuccessful.  If you would like it, please e-mail me and I will be happy to send it to you!

Cathy

William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 06:49:41 AM »

His naturalization papers indicate that he came in July of 1881 through Port Huron on the Grand Funk Line from Port Sarney in Canada.  I can not find a "Port Sarney", but assume that is a spelling error.  He orginally logged in Marquette Michigan before arriving in Oconto.

Cathy,

My guess is that "Port Sarney" is Sarnia, Ontario which is directly across from Port Huron.  I'm also wondering if the "Grand Funk Line" could be "Grand Trunk Line?"

Thanks for posting this route.  There were also others that came through the "Soo." (Sault Ste. Marie, between the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Canada)

William Flowers
Cathy McTavish
Senior Participant

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 06:56:47 AM »

Thank you very much!  I have been trying to figure out "Sarney" for quite some time!  And "Grand FunK".......well   thanks again, I guess my version was a 70's rock band!

Cathy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: