Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Other Bay of Chaleur Surnames and their Families
| |-+  William Huntington's Origins & Descendants
| | |-+  William Huntington, who are you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: William Huntington, who are you?  (Read 22663 times)
HuntingtonGdaughter
Senior Participant

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »

I wasn't aware that William appeared in 1784, just the 1786 roll with the spelling Huntingdon (as were later Drouin documents)
...if so this landing in Ship Harbour has possibilities.

Can you provide that 1784 list you referenced?
Thank you!
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »

I wasn't aware that William appeared in 1784, just the 1786 roll with the spelling Huntingdon (as were later Drouin documents)
...if so this landing in Ship Harbour has possibilities.

Can you provide that 1784 list you referenced?
Thank you!

Please check the first message in this thread for when I provided info regarding William Huntington's presence in 1784 in what was to become known as New Carlisle. It really pays to return to material you've gone over before for additional insights with the knowledge you've picked up in the interim. I'm reminded of this, myself, all the time. Later in this message I'll give an example of something I missed until today.

You are wise to consider all variations of the surname "Huntington" while looking for William, as you are doing. In addition to "Huntingdon", also consider "Hundingdon," "Hundington," and other permutations.

I am not in a position at this time to publish a full-scan of the 1784 Lot-drawing document. I will include in this post, however, the William Huntington entry along with the column headings. When I looked at the document today prior to scanning the William Huntington entry I noticed something that I didn't see before, and I've studied this list many times. He is enumerated along with three other men who were all single, probably young, not British soldiers, and to the best of my memory also not on the 1784 ship list, meaning they might have arrived together between the landing of the ships and the lot-drawing. This could be an important clue about the origins of William Huntington. It might pay huge dividends to check every list which contains candidates for our William Huntington for the presence of these other men on the same list.   The names: Henry Echelle/Eshelle/Eschelle; John Lawe/Law; Francis Stewart/Stuart.  All four, including William Huntington, were listed adjacent to each other, all drawing only 50 acres. These are the only four men on the entire list of lot drawers in this category.

The column headings on the 1784 lot-drawing list are:  "Person's signatures" (they aren't signatures), Under the heading of "Number in each family," sub-headings of "Wives," "Males," [Male's] "Age," "Females," [Female's] "Age," "Professions," "Township," "The number of every hundred acre lot," "Number of every fifty acre lot," and "Total amount drawn."

There is also a date column that is not shown on the scan I've included. For William Huntington the date is 3 Aug 1784.  William Huntington's columns indicate that he was single (no family), and that he, along with the other three men mentioned above, is a "Labourer" (indicated by a ditto). His lot is located in "Paspebiac Township" along with every other man on the list, regardless of the amount of acres drawn. The number of his lot is "1," the same lot number as he is listed with on the 1786 list. Eschelle and Lawe have lots number "2" and "3," respectively.  Stewart has lot number "6."

Is the Huntington event still on for next weekend?

* William Huntington 1784 Lot Drawing List.jpg (81.57 KB, 2630x61 - viewed 553 times.)

William Flowers
HuntingtonGdaughter
Senior Participant

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »

So I will check for these other names (will look in the big book which shows officers) verses my lists which are enlisted and volunteers from 1 Jun 1784 In addition to several other sources.  Oddly enough the name Simon Huntington appears next to Williams but I don't show he traveled as far East as William...  Mmmmnn is two months in that era enough time to reach paspebiac?

That leaves 10 years approx before I think he and Margaret started a family...unusual for that day and age...

Picnic is on!  Capped it at 200 verified relatives, published musicians, food covered - going to be a good time!  I'm leaving tomorrow actually - -  I want to get some research time in around my coordinating duties : )
HuntingtonGdaughter
Senior Participant

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »

I have obtained the 1784 lot issuances for New Carlisle - but not for Paspebiac.  Since it is a public reprint I can disseminate but thinking the attachments will not load here?  I visited Paspebiac and the town courthouse was under the impression that they were grouped with New Carlisle...I am thinking in fact it was more like New Carlisle West after visiting the old records in Bonaventure.  Since you did not include the top of your list, does it indicate purely Paspebiac?
v/r
TinaMarie
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »

I have obtained the 1784 lot issuances for New Carlisle - but not for Paspebiac.  Since it is a public reprint I can disseminate but thinking the attachments will not load here?  I visited Paspebiac and the town courthouse was under the impression that they were grouped with New Carlisle...I am thinking in fact it was more like New Carlisle West after visiting the old records in Bonaventure.  Since you did not include the top of your list, does it indicate purely Paspebiac?
v/r
TinaMarie

Every lot on the 1784 lot list is designated as "Paspebiac Township." The name "New Carlisle" did not exist in 1784, hence the "Paspebiac" designation.

This forum software will accept attachments up to 125k. Look under additional options as you post.

William Flowers
HuntingtonGdaughter
Senior Participant

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »

So someone just took the liberty to call it plots for New Carlisle even though it wasn't?

Oops, I apologize - it reads:
  1785 Vondenvelden Plan of Town Lots - New Carlisle (based on Felix O'Hara, surveyor)
Proprieters: Astles, Brotherton, Cauldwell, Chisholm, Cordew, Cox, Driskel, Feeley, Flowers, Gallon, Glebe (reserved for church), Goodwillie, Imhoff, Longmore, Main, Man, McAdams, McKay, McCamebridge, Morrison, Munroe, O'Hara, Paunce?, Rafter, Sterns/Starnes, Teague, Vondenvelden, Walker
  and Cox adjacent lots with proprieter names: Billingsley, Brotherton, Cass, Chisholm, Coulter, Cowl/Coul, Flowers, Leshmer, McAdams, McCambridge, McKinnon, Munroe, Naughton, Pamphrey, Pierson, Price-Jones, Pritchard, Purcell, Restell, Scott, Sherar, Teague, Thompson
  from what I can make out.
The scan is horrible as the reprint needs to be shrunk - soliciting for a better copy...
v/r
TinaMarie
Susan Sylke
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 05:14:57 AM »

Is this the Simon clan of Connecticut? If so I am related to him through his wife Sarah Clarke daughter to John.  Sarah Clarke is the sister to Elizabeth Clarke who married Lt William Pratt 
susan
Carol Cunday
Senior Participant

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 06:38:20 AM »

I came across this little bit of information about William Huntington

Name: William Huntington
Birth Date: abt 1766
Military Date: 1784-1795
Unit: 58th Foot Soldiers

This might be a link to our William. Thoughts?

I tried to post the orginal scan but it wouldn't let me.

thanks
Carol
Carol Cunday
Senior Participant

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »

I came across this little bit of information about William Huntington

Name: William Huntington
Birth Date: abt 1766
Military Date: 1784-1795
Unit: 58th Foot Soldiers

This might be a link to our William. Thoughts?

I tried to post the orginal scan but it wouldn't let me.

thanks
Carol

This looked hopeful for a bit, but after consulting with Bill, we have come to the conclusion that this probably isn't our William. The dates just won't match  Shocked Oh well, will keep looking!
Carol
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: