Chaleur Genealogy Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:34:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The main website is located at: www.chaleurgenealogy.beyondgrandmasattic.com

The Chaleur Genealogy Links page is located at: www.beyondgrandmasattic.com/chaleurgenealogy/ChaleurGenealogyLinks.html

982 Posts in 382 Topics by 153 Members
Latest Member: Ernie Fisher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Chaleur Genealogy Forum
|-+  Other Bay of Chaleur Surnames and their Families
| |-+  John Gallon's Origins
| | |-+  John Gallon's birthplace and family
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: John Gallon's birthplace and family  (Read 6657 times)
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« on: July 11, 2005, 04:44:46 PM »

If the John Gallon who died 20 March 1839 is the father of Margaret Gallon, then her father was probably born in Ireland ca 1762, according to the New Carlisle Anglican church register. However, I have been unable to find anything, yet, which directly links this John Gallon to his daughter Margaret Gallon, the wife of John Thompson.

The births of two children of John Gallon and Christina Smart, reputed to also be the parents of Margaret Gallon, are recorded in the register of the Church of Scotland, North Side of the Restigouche. These children are John and Helena.  In addition to these two for whom there is a record, both the above mentioned Margaret and a William are also reputed to be children.

John Gallon and Christiana Smart are reputed to have been married in Quebec City on 26 Sept. 1784. I have been unable to find a source that confirms that date or place, although the marriage itself seems certain. There may also be a second wife of this John Gallon, Elizabeth Pemberton, who died on 20 Sept. 1841.  She is also noted as John Gallon's widow in the New Carlisle Anglican church register. I have not found a death record for Christiana Smart that would provide evidence for at least the possibility of this second marriage.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 05:24:29 PM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
sybilng
Participant

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »

there were 3 john gallons,john gallan was david gallans father.
sara ross was his mother
john married jane elizabeth lizzie smith.wow its so long but i have all the information.
Jake
Participant

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »

Do you have any more information on John Gallon and or his decendant's.  Starting to research my ancestory and have gotten back this far and would like to find out as much as I can. 

William Thompson
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »

Do you have any more information on John Gallon and or his decendant's.  Starting to research my ancestory and have gotten back this far and would like to find out as much as I can. 

William Thompson

The best way to start your research on a particular line, in this case the Gallons, is to start with your earliest known documented Gallon ancestor.  Who is your earliest documented Gallon ancestor?  Let us know and someone will probably be able to help you in a time-efficient way.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:18:21 AM by William Flowers » Logged

William Flowers
William Flowers
Administrator
Senior Participant

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:45:07 AM »

Aldo Brochet has kindly sent along a link to the document that records the marriage of John Gallan and Christiana Smart. The date of the marriage 26 Sep 1784 and it took place at the Metropolitan Church of Quebec [Anglican].

Thanks to Aldo!

William Flowers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: